Personal Injury Lawyer
Providence, RI

Frequently Asked Questions About Motorcycle Accidents

An experienced motorcycle accident attorney can get you back on the road

Motorcycle accidents are some of the most confusing and overwhelming accidents we handle at the Law Office of Mark B. Morse, LLC. Bikers who are involved in accidents can sustain severe injuries, and it's almost always a motorist's fault. You shouldn't have to pay for someone else's actions - but dealing with the insurance company as an injured motorcyclist is always a challenge.

Attorney Mark Morse has been helping injured bikers for over 30 years. We're glad to share some of the information our legal team has gathered on motorcycle accident cases.

This information should give you a general idea of what to expect if you have been involved in a motorcycle accident. However, every case is unique, and none of these questions and answers are intended to serve as legal advice for your specific situation. We strongly encourage you to meet with a motorcycle accident attorney. Call Attorney Mark Morse to discuss the facts of your individual case. Call (401) 831-0555. 

What should I do at the scene of a motorcycle accident?

Unless you have to leave to seek emergency medical attention, remain at the scene and make sure it is safe. You may need to move your bike, if possible, to keep from blocking traffic. Call the police and make sure you get the investigating officer's name and badge number, as well as contact and insurance information for the motorist who hit you and any witnesses to the accident.

Keep your comments to anyone else at the accident scene brief and stick to the facts of what happened. Remember that the majority of the time, a motorist, not a motorcycle rider, is at fault for a motorcycle accident. You don't want to say anything that could be construed as admitting fault.

Take pictures of the accident scene, including damage to your bike, the other vehicle and any other property damage, as well as skid marks and any visible injuries. You need to collect that evidence quickly before it disappears.

As soon as possible after the accident, you need to see a doctor, notify your insurance company - but again, keep your comments brief - and contact us. The sooner you have an attorney in your corner, the better your likely outcome.

Return to Top

I have a few bruises but I feel fine. Do I have to see a doctor?

You definitely do. Motorcycle accidents often cause injuries with delayed onset symptoms. What may just look like a bruise could actually be a serious internal injury. You could have a traumatic brain injury. Seeing a doctor immediately is the best option for your health.

Seeking immediate medical attention will also help protect your legal rights. An insurance company could use any delay in seeking treatment as an excuse to deny your claim. Be sure to document every medical appointment and comply with your doctor's instructions.

Return to Top

What if I wasn't wearing a helmet?

In Rhode Island, experienced riders over the age of 21 are not legally required to wear helmets. However, an insurance company could try to use your failure to wear a helmet against you. That's why you need an attorney on your side. We may be able to show that a helmet would not have made much difference in your case - if, for instance, you injured your leg or your back, the question of head protection isn't terribly relevant. And even if you did sustain a head injury that a helmet may have helped to prevent, the motorist who hit you is also responsible for your injuries.

Return to Top

How can I get my medical bills paid?

Ultimately, the insurance company for the at-fault driver should be responsible for paying your medical bills - but they won't pay until your treatment is complete, and your medical providers will want to be paid right away.

As your attorney, our first step will be to look for any applicable insurance coverage that you may have, such as medical payments coverage or employer-provided health insurance. Depending on your policy, your insurance carrier may or may not cover injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident. If you don't have any applicable coverage, we may be able to work with your medical providers to pay for your care with an attorney's lien. This is an agreement between your doctors and your attorney to provide treatment now without requiring payment up-front; they will be paid once a settlement or verdict in your favor is recovered.

Return to Top

The at-fault driver's insurance company is denying my claim. Can an attorney help?

Yes. Insurance companies tend to view motorcyclists as irresponsible thrill-seekers, even though statistically speaking, they are usually not at fault for accidents. An experienced attorney can negotiate with the insurance company to get your medical bills and other costs paid. We know how to counter the arguments they make and achieve positive results for our clients.

Return to Top

Should I accept a settlement offer for my injuries?

You should always speak with an attorney before accepting any financial offer from an insurance company. A settlement offer is often a "lowball" amount that may not even come close to paying the full, long-term cost of your accident. Reviewing your case with Attorney Mark Morse will help you understand the full cost of your injuries, and he'll go back to the insurance company on your behalf to push for a settlement that will make you whole again.

Return to Top

The Law Office Of Mark B. Morse, LLC

420 Angell Street, Suite 2
Providence, RI 02906
Phone: 401-831-0555
Fax: 401-273-0937

The Law Office Of Mark B. Morse, LLC Providence Rhode Island